Orchids have a special place at Glasnevin. It was here, in the 1840's that orchids were first grown to flowering stage from seed by the curator, David Moore. The orchid house was restored along with the great Palm House in 2004.
This print is by Susan Sex, who has been painting at the Gardens since 1996. She has been awarded gold medals for the years 2000 and 2001 for botanical illustration by the Royal Horticultural Society.
The print is sold at the National Botanic Gardens in aid of the Trust fund. This fund aims to facilitate the research and educational work of the Gardens by assisting in the acquisition of archival material, aiding staff research and travel, the preservation of botanical books and illustrations and the development of an education programme.