ART COLLECTIONS IN THE NATIONAL HERBARIUMThe National Botanic Gardens houses an important and varied art collection. As well as sculptures and integral art associated with the buildings, or displayed in the Visiter Centre, there are also over 3,000 individual pieces of Art representing one of the largest collections of original drawings in Ireland. Some of the paintings were originally held in the Science and Art Museum (now the National Museum) along with the Herbarium collection. These were all transferred to Glasnevin in 1970. Other works came to the gardens through bequests by the artists themselves or their families.
The collection represents over 20 Artists both Irish and foreign that are mainly women. Among the larger collections are Lydia Shackleton (1828-1914), Charlotte Wheeler Cuffe (1867-1967), and George Victor duNoyer.(1817-1869).
Also included are the Plunket Volume, a beautifully bound book containing over a thousand original flower paintings by two Irish women Frederica and Katharina Plunket. The James McNab(1810-1879) Painted Herbarium contains dried herbarium specimens accompanied by exact botanical illustrations by the above named Scottish Horticulturist which show the contrast between a dried specimen and the living plant. Such accuracy and completeness are important to the botanist in the identification of plant specimens. A series of pen and ink line drawings by Sophia Rosamund Praeger (1867-1954), sister of the well known botanist Robert Lloyd Praeger are also in the collection.
In recent years exhibitions were held celebrating the work of the Artists, Charlotte Wheeler Cuffe and Wendy Walsh in Dublin Castle in 1995 as part of the Bicentenary commemorations an exhibition of Lydia Shackleton paintings was held in the Municipal Gallery in 1997. This also featured the work of artists participating in a FAS run course ‘ARTCORE’ which is based at the Botanic Gardens. ARTCORE also held an exhibition in the Herbarium/Library in June.
Susan Sex and Deborah Lambkin are two freelance Artists that have also held exhibitions here in the Herbarium/Library building. Examples of their work are now included in the Botanical Art collections at the Botanic Gardens.
A quaker women born in Ballytore, Co. Kildare in 1828. She came from a family of 13 and in her early years devoted alot of her time to teaching and taking care of the younger members of her family. Lydia trained in the School of Art a sister institution of the Botanic Gardens.
At 56 Lydia became the first resident artist at Glasnevin. The Director Frederick Moore (1879-1922) had a particular interest in tropical orchids and devoted a lot of his time in the improvement of the collection. He asked Lydia to paint these orchids in the knowledge that they would provide a permanent record and be a useful aid for future botanist in the identification of this complex group of plants. She also painted Hellebores, peonies, carnivourous plants, and the South African bulbs Lachenalia for Frederick Moore. There is no official record of any payments made to Lydia for her paintings.
A series of Native plant portraits depicted by Lydia were originally held in the National Museum. These were done at the request of Professor Johnson who was Keeper of the Herbarium in the Museum. They were probably used as part of the instruction course in botany that Prof. Johnson gave to the apprentice gardeners.
Lydia spent over 20 years of her life painting at Glasnevin and her work, including over a thousand orchids, is an impressive reflection of the Horticultural and botanical achievements of the Botanic Gardens in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
In her later years her eyesight was affected and eventually Lydia was forced to stop painting. Frederick Moore then asked Alice Jacob (1862-1921) who taught in the Metropolitan School of Art, to continue the work.
Alice Jacob was well known for her lace-work and graphic designs. She painted over a hundred orchids between 1908 and 1919.
Charlotte Wheeler Cuffe (nee Williams)
Charlotte Wheeler Cuffe Was born in England in 1867. She was a grand-daughter of the Reverend Sir Hercules Langrishe third Baronet of Knocktopher, Co. Kilkenny. Although Charlotte was born in London her Irish connections were strengthened when she married Sir Otway Wheeler Cuffe from Kilkenny . Sir Otway joined the Indian Public Works Department in 1889 and shortly after their marriage they moved to Burma where they remained for the next 24 years.
Charlotte’s main interests were gardening and painting. She often accompanied her husband on trips to inspect the engineering works. These trips took them to remote parts of Burma where she began painting the orchids and other native plants in their natural habitat. In 1911 and again in 1912 Charlotte travelled to Mount Victoria with Winefred McNab where she painted the native flora. Among the plants she painted and collected was the white flowering Rhodendron cuffeanum and the yellow flowered R. burmanicum which was named after her. She sent living specimens of these and other plants to Glasnevin. R. cuffeanum is a rare plant not growing in any Irish garden. It has not been collected by any botanist since 1911. R. burmanicum is a hardy plant and grows outdoors in Ireland.
In 1917 she was asked by the head of the Forrestry Department ,Charles Rodgers and William Kieth the Burmese Secretary to design and construct a Botanical garden at Maymo. This she undertook with great joy and enthusiasm. In her correspondence to Frederick Moore she describes her progress and by 1918 she had 150 acres to manage and develop in to a Botanic Gardens.
During her years in India and Burma Charlotte did several hundred watercolours.
They returned to Kilkenny in 1921 and four years later Charlotte loaned her paintings to The Botanic Gardens with the express wish that they would be left there permanently after her death. Charlotte died in 1967 in her hundredth year.
George Victor du Noyer
George Victor du Noyer Was born in Dublin in 1817 to parents of Hugunot descent, Louis Victor du Noyer and Margaret du Bedat. While he was a young pupil of George Petrie’s he developed an interest in Art and Antiquities, and it was through his influence that he was engaged as a draughtsman in the Ordinance Survey in 1835 and subsequently with the Geological Survey becoming District Surveyor in 1867 .
In 1824 while working with the Ordinance Survey du Noyer became involved with a Government incentive to map Ireland. He collaborated with David Moore(later Curator at Glasnevin) on this survey. Moore was the Botanist employed by the Survey, who collected and discovered new species which du Noyer was employed to paint. He was associated in all with 48 sheets of maps of Ireland and with 17 memoirs. From 1844-45 he was a Tutor in Fine Art at the college of St. Columbia. He did a series of scenic drawings of the surrounding area including pencil drawings of the area where the Battle of the Boyne took place.
In January 1858 he married Francis Adelaide du Bedat in Donnybrook. They had five children. In 1856 he became a member of the Royal Irish Academy where he exhibited regularly. After his death his widow offered his collection of drawings contained in 12 volumes arranged county by county to the Academy. In 1869 at 52 years of age George Victor du Noyer died of Scarlet fever. His daughter Fanny died the following day and they are both buried in Antrim town.
The Plunket Volume
This Bound Volume contains 1,200 flower paintings by Katherina and Frederica Plunket. The paintings were done during the many trips they made to Europe including France, Italy Spain and Germany, and around Ireland. They are not signed but beneath each painting is the botanical name written by Katharine
It was presented in 1903 by Frederica to Professor Johnson at the Royal College of Science. It was then transferred to the Museum of Science and Art(National Museum of Ireland).
In 1970 it was part of the collections which were transferred to the National Botanic Gardens.
The Plunket sisters were born in Kilsaren ,Co. Louth. Their Father was the Right Reverend Thomas Plunket, Bishop of Tuam, Killala and Anchory. Their mother was a member of the Foster family one of whom, John Foster, speaker of the Irish parliment, was instumental in the founding of the Botanic Gardens. Katherina died in October 1932, in her 112th year. Little is known of Frederica Plunket.